Thursday, December 27, 2007

back in Korea

We're home now. Sorry I got lazy about blogging towards the end of the trip. All I can say is that Thailand was GREAT! Meeting up with Hana and Jake, and then Amanda and Sean was fantastic! I love Bangkok, and would like to live there some time. It is so vibrant and fun. Lonely beach on Koh Chang was relaxing and gorgeous- clearer water than I've ever seen, but a little boring because there were no waves. Who ever heard of a beach without waves? weird, but great for kayaking and snorkeling.
It is wonderful to be back in Korea. After months of hot, sweaty, tropical climates, breathing in the cold winter air outside of Incheon airport was shocking and invigorating. Walking around Daejeon, on streets I know, seeing places I recognize, signs I can read, and best of all, familiar faces is a huge treat. Checking out super high maintenance, beautiful Korean femmes send text messages or slurp boiling hot soups in their elegant winter coats, stockings, heels and flawless makeup is another fun treat, as is slurping my own hot kimchi chigae and mushroom porridge, and making ridiculous Christmas Eve toasts to "Bill Brasky" until 3am with friends. Oh it feels good be home!
Korea is not at all like China or Southeast Asia- and here are two immediate examples of why. After taking a bus from Incheon to Daejeon, Travis and I flagged down a taxi, hopped in, gave him directions to our apartment, he took us there, and we paid the amount on the meter. Simple as that. How is this different from taking a taxi or tuktuk anywhere else we traveled? No haggling over prices- all the taxis have meters and the drivers do not rip you off, even if you are foreign. Second example. Within 10 hours of being in Daejeon I lost my wallet. I don't know how. I didn't lose ANYTHING in 4 months of traveling, but in 10 hours back at home I lost my wallet, right after withdrawing $100 from the ATM. Travis and I searched everywhere. We went to the restaurants we ate at- nothing; searched our hagwon and apartment- nothing. That night, the police called our boss. Someone found my wallet on the street and turned it. All the money and my credit cards were intact. Pretty great, right? How can you not love this country!! Man, it's good to be back.

No comments: